About Friends of Katy Library
The Friends of the Katy Library have continued to support the library with volunteering and fund-raising as they have in the past. Good “Friends” helping to make our Katy library the best it can be!
The Friends fundraising and volunteer efforts make possible:
The Children’s and Teen’s Summer Programs
Craft materials for weekly story times
Various programs of community interest held throughout the year
The purchase of special materials for the library
To raise the money needed to support these programs the Friends:
Hold book sales each year
Maintain year-round book sales in the library lobby
Hold a Potpourri Boutique in November
The first recorded library was organized by the Katy Garden Club in 1921 - this group was the first “Friends of the Katy Library.” The library was housed in homes and stores. In the early 1930’s the library was located in the G.W. Douglas Grocery Store and in 1935 in Ed Romack’s Furniture Store.
The Katy Library became part of the HCPL system in 1940. Through public subscriptions and with citizens volunteering their services, a one-room building was erected in the south end of the City Square on Second Street.
In 1953 the Katy Volunteer Fire Department and Library were constructed. The old library building was sold and donations from the citizens of Katy were used to make the new building possible. The Katy Fire Department moved to new quarters and the library was remodeled in 1975.
New construction of the current library on Franz Road began in 2002 and the new Katy Library opened in April, 2003.